[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Gary Sherman gsherman at mrcc.com
Sun Nov 29 09:11:34 PST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Mats Elfström <mats.elfstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I'll take it all back the minute somebody writes to this list and reports
> a flawless, standalone QGis installation on any Windows system with all
> GRASS and Gdal dependencies working from the start.
>
> Don't you realize that many users never get to choose OS?
> Or needs to cooperate in environments where there is no choice?
>
> And I am really insulted by the accusation that I as a Windows user,
> automatically is regarded as an incompetent user with no care or concern
> about my system. I've worked with computers since 1984 and I have learned to
> take care of most problems. And I have invested lots of time and love and
> money doing that.
> I am using ESRI products. I am using MapInfo products. I am using FME. I am
> using MicroStation. And I am using Windows. I would like to confidently add
> QGis to my toolbox too, but resent being looked down upon. You seem to
> regard Windows as something the dog dragged in, writing 'people fiddling
> around with a Windows build' and so on.
>
> See if you can find it in your heart to indulge with us ordinary people who
> *has* to use Windows but still likes GIS and Open Source. I think the QGis
> user community would grow and profit from that, and open source efforts must
> behave like other software to gain acceptance.
> I will not debate this further.
>
> Regards, Mats.E

With regard to Windows support---it is true that QGIS began life on
Linux. But even then there were plans for Windows and the choice of
the underlying toolkit(s) reflects that intention. QGIS has provided a
Windows version since 0.6 (2004).

Supporting Windows is a big job, just as is supporting OS X and
multiple flavors of Linux. All we can do as a developer community is
to rely on user feedback and support to improve QGIS on all platforms.
We also work within the constraints of limited developer resources and
volunteer time.

We want a solid working version on Windows. I think we have made great
strides in that direction based on user reports. Sure there are
issues, just as there are with all platforms.

Given input and support from the user community, I am certain we can
accomplish the tasks before us.

-gary
--
Gary Sherman