[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at inwind.it
Sun Nov 29 09:01:11 PST 2009

Mats Elfström wrote:
> Hi! (this is a bit OT rant)
>
> What it the matter with Qgis versus MS Windows?
> According to w3schools, the windows family operating systems account
> for 90% of all users world wide.
> There is nothing to indicate that GIS people should differ from this
> pattern.
> Open source should not be platform dependent but I still claim that
> QGis is.
> There are dozens of Mac and Linux versions with funny names but only
> two Windows versions that apparently never works satisfactorily.
> I have all but given up recommending QGis for Windows systems.
Hi Mats,
I'm a (mainly) Windows user, and I work without problem with QGIS in
Windows... I don't understand your problems. Could you be more precise?
In Windows XP I'm using with great satisfaction QGIS 1.4 (trunk),
installed with OSGeo4W, with all amazing last updates and every day I
can update my installation with the last version...
It seems to me that you are polemic without reason :-)
Ale