[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Nov 29 12:32:53 PST 2009

Hi Mats,

At our local government we are using QGIS Trunk (1.4) on Windows XP
without major problems. We are using the OSGeo installer where we can
test and update from time to time.

I am personally using QGIS on all three platforms: windows, os x and
linux. I can say that every platform has it's more or less equal share
of problems with QGIS. I cannot say that Windows is an exception here.
As you said, at my workplace I cannot decide on the platform. I have to
use Windows. We are using Windows XP, like the majority of the windows
users. I can imagine that being on the bleeding edge (like Windows 7 or
Windows Vista) can lead to additional problems. On which version of
Windows are you testing QGIS?

But then most of our other commercial software isn't supported on Vista
or Windows 7 as well. QGIS wouldn't be an exception.

Finally - can you please be more specific what the problems are - like
coming up with a list of unsolved problems, linked to the bug-tracker or
at least email conversation on this list?

Thanks for helping to improve QGIS on the Windows platform. I think that
the QGIS team is well aware that Windows is an important target platform.

Andreas