[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Nov 29 17:40:39 PST 2009

I just want to point out that there are some major concerns about mono
itself that make it a tricky choice to build or deploy on top of.
(This is not a comment at all on the quality of MapWindow)

1. Mono updates are independent of .Net and not direct from Microsoft so
there is always a lag time in implementation of new features and a
potential for missing features, last time I looked Mono did not cover
100% of .Net
2. There's a question about the potential licensing issues revolving
around the recent settlement between Novell and Microsoft over
intellectual property. Not that it's a known issue but it's an unknown
factor that could really be a problem down the line for Linux and Mac
users trying mono stuff.

Both of these are potentially show stopping issues for truly Free and
Open Source Software. Just something to keep in mind, nothing all that
exciting to this conversation.

Alex