[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Nov 29 06:47:27 PST 2009

Mats Elfström ha scritto:
> There are dozens of Mac and Linux versions with funny names but only two
> Windows versions that apparently never works satisfactorily.
> I have all but given up recommending QGis for Windows systems.

Hi Mats.
I think you are wrong: I do not use windows myself, but I am running a looong series
of very successful courses, most of them on windows, and I always report all the
problems encountered (see trac issues), which are very occasionally different on
windows systems because of specific idiosyncrasies. The same can be said of OSX systems.
What is true is that many (but not all, fortunately) windows users pretend a system
that just works, without bothering to invest anything (time, money, love) on it. This
is not how free software works. If you are using a piece of software, and you find a
problem, you have the choice of fixing it yourself, or pay someone to fix it. Of
course, you can always complain about it and/or stop using the program, it's your
choice, but IMHO this is not the best option.
All the best.