[Qgis-user] QGIS LTS version GRASS

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Mon Nov 30 11:14:34 PST 2009

Actually I work on Windows with the students and Linux or Windows for
research depending on what is adapted to my aim. The pre-compiled binary
GRASS/QGIS still available in the "Metis" version was (and still is)
greatly appreciated. Easy to manage with the kids (installation,
etc...). I cannot drive them to Linux (they are used to Windows) without
adding complexity to a field they are just discovering: GIS, map
algebra, etc..

I am a bit anxious about this new packaging separating GRASS and QGIS
and the osgeo4w-setup.exe installer and about my ability to do that well
(and to convey  a "easy to do" message to the students). Maybe because I
have been unlucky at first attempt (see previous mail). So far I will
stick to Metis for the classroom and try and master the installation
progressively (I am a bit short in time now and not capable to allocate
a full day concentrating on that...) before updating the student version.

If a standalone version of QGIS/GRASS is no longer available, would be
great to have an installer of QGIS/GRASS installing on Windows with one
click and no problem.

Anyway, thanks, Agustin, for the hints, and to the developers for all
the good job done so far...

Cheers,

Patrick