[Qgis-user] translations deadlines...

Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es
Fri Oct 2 13:07:12 PDT 2009

Christian Ferreira escribió:
> Hi all,
>

> Maybe this is my personal problem maybe not... but frequently the
> deadline for GUI translations are set to one week prior each new QGIS
> release.
>
> The problem is...
>
> Honestly, I can't meet these deadlines sometimes. And I don't know why
> is so important for QGIS to be released as fast as possible, and
> without giving time for a proper translation and revision (in my
> opinion).
>
> I want keep contributing for QGIS GUI translations, but I believe that
> we should set enough time (2-3 weeks) since (like many I guess) I work
> for this at my free time (night/weekends). And often, the GUI
> translations can take several full days of work, making this one week
> deadline a bit hard to accomplish.
>
> Also, maybe this list is not the best place to talk about this, but
> I'm just subscribing the QGIS-User mailing-list. So, my apologies if
> this place is the wrong place for this discussion.
>
> Best regards,
> Christian

I'm also a QGIS translator. What I do to avoid the problem you mention
is start translating as soon as a new release is scheduled. I update my
local qgis_xx.ts file with the current code in trunk at that moment to
have the least string changes as possible and send any advance in
translation to trunk to prevent conflicts. This way, one week after
string freeze is normally enough to complete the task.
Regards
Carlos