[Qgis-user] inserting symbols into qgis

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 20 02:09:04 PDT 2009

hm - it sucessfully worked for me.

I see several potential causes for problems.

* Sometimes there are several parallel QGIS installations on your
harddrive. Make sure that the .svg files are placed in the correct
installation.
* your SVG images can't be loaded because they are invalid SVG. Do the
files properly open in a webbrowser?
* file permission problems?

Other than that it really should work.

Andreas

On Tue, October 20, 2009 9:14 am, sunny74 wrote:

> Hi
>

> Your suggestions did not work.
> I converted my .jpg's into .svg's and placed them in  a separate folder
> within the svg folder of QGIS but it did not show in symbology.
> Then I put them in to one of the existing folders but again the same
> result,
> even though I restarted QGIS.
> there is a button called "Load Style" and I tried to use it to add symbols
> but it required .qml files.
>
> So how to add the symbols.
>
> Regards.
>

> James Card wrote:
>>
>> Inkscape also has an image tracing utility built-in to convert raster
>> images to vectors. If you're willing to do a bit of tinkering with the
>> conversion parameters I've had very good results with this process.
>>
>> --
>> James Card
>> California CAD Solutions, Inc.
>> 209-578-5580 - Voice
>> 209-521-6493 - FAX
>>

>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:46:04 -0700, Andreas Neumann
>> <a.neumann at carto.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> SVG is a hybrid format. It can also embed raster images (jpg,png). So
>>> theoretically you could embed your existing symbols in a raster (with a
>>> SVG shell around it). However, this is not recommended since the raster
>>> images don't scale properly. They would get pixely/or blurry when
>>> enlarged.
>>>
>>> SVG is the best choice for scalable symbols.
>>>
>>> If you want quick results and don't care about quality you could still
>>> embed the rasters (you can embed them base64 encoded in the data URL),
>>> so you only have one file and not two files. In Inkscape (at least in
>>> 0.47) you can embed the image in the SVG by using "Extensions" -->
>>> "Images" --> "Embed Images".
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Andreas

Andreas Neumann