[Qgis-user] WMS hangs sometimes, Timeouts

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 27 04:19:05 PDT 2009

Hi,

I extensively use WMS to display raster data. The WMS is inhouse (in the
same LAN). Unfortunately, I experience timeouts quite frequently, in
average every 10 pan/zooms QGIS hangs, waits for 1-2 minutes and then
displays an error message about a HTTP-Exception, also displaying the URL.
When I copy/paste the URL to a web-browser, the link just works fine and
loads immediately.

The thing is that the WMS just works fine from other web-based
applications and never hangs. I wonder what may be wrong with the way QGIS
retrieves the WMS results and why it may hang so frequently?

We have a proxy to access the internet, but I added our own WMS as a proxy
exception, so it shouldn't go through the proxy.

Do other people have the same problems?

I am testing with latest trunk builds on Windows XP and Linux. Similar
problems/results. The problem existed for a while with the trunk builds.

Thanks for any hints on what we could do/try to resolve the issue. I will
test the WMS with other clients (gvSig or uDig) to see if it hangs there
as well or not.

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann