[Qgis-user] Version 1.3, Spatialite issues on Mac OS X and Linux

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Oct 29 15:48:19 PDT 2009

Can you load the test DB with the CLI sqlite3 program?  Maybe try a
basic spatial query, like this from the tutorial:

SELECT name, peoples, AsText(Geometry) from Towns where peoples >
350000 order by peoples DESC;

On Oct 29, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) wrote:

> Hello,
> I thought it was only a problem on Os X, but now I think it's an issue
> with some italian string and Mimas 1.3.
> In the afternoon I upgraded my ArchLinux machine with Mimas 1.3 and I
> tried it with the sample data from:
> http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/test-2.3.sqlite.gz
> Unexpectedly I got the same result. This is the italian error message:
>    Errore durante la connessione verso:
>
>    sembra essere un DB SQLite valido, ma non uno SpatialLite ...
> A possible translation sounds (sorry, I'm to lazy to verify it)
>    Error during the connection to:
>
>    seems to be a valid SQLite DB, but not a SpatiaLite ...
> The name of the file (test_2.3.sqlite) does not come out. I wonder
> why.
> Well, it could be my fault (all my machines refuse Spatialite, it' a
> plot against me!), but I think there may be other reasons.
>
> Carlo
>
> --
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM, William Kyngesburye
> <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> I haven't really paid attention to the spatialite thread.  Reading
> spatialite works for me on Leopard and Snow, using the spatialite test
> database.  Both full and standalone Qgis.
>
> Can you reproduce the problem with the test database?
>
> The /usr/local spatialite shouldn't cause problems for Qgis (my
> builds), it's linked to the framework (OSX is very particular about
> link paths, unlike linux).
>
> Qgis (on OSX) also doesn't use the PATH.  OSX apps in general don't
> use the PATH, or any env variables.
>
> Note: I did create a "GDAL Complete" package a few weeks ago.
>

> On Oct 29, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) wrote:
>
> Ciao,
> as you could have seen on the list, my problem with spatialite files
> is not solved. QGis 1.3 (QGis+frameworks and updated GDAL framework).
> I know we should wait for GDAL 1.7 to write to spatialite, but I have
> QGis 1.1 on Linux and it reads the same files that QGis refuses on
> Leopard.
> I think it's a problem with my installation, I have Spatialite
> (command line tools, Gui and Gis) installed in /usr/local, maybe this
> could cause a conflict, maybe it's only a $PATH issue, but I've tried
> everything and it doesn't work. I have a map with a hundred layers and
> the shapefile version (even if spatially indexed) is so slow in
> comparison to spatialite that I really miss this feature.
> TIA for any help provided.
> BTW, may I put my 1+ on the all-frameworks idea again (even on
> Leopard)?
>

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."
>
> - Marvin

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.