[Qgis-user] bugfix and cheating

Kivit, Hubert Hubert.Kivit at PWN.NL
Mon Feb 8 08:02:25 PST 2010

I agree with Mats. Mr Coats made a public promise. If he cannot give a proper explanation for his refusal now he will keep his money but loses further cooperation from developers or community.

Hubert Kivit

________________________________

Van: qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] Namens Mats Elfström
Verzonden: Monday, February 08, 2010 4:53 PM
Aan: cavallini at faunalia.it
CC: qgis-user; qgis-developer
Onderwerp: Re: [Qgis-user] bugfix and cheating

Hi Paolo.

This is bad.
I would expect Mr Coats to explain himself.

Mats.E

2010/2/8 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

Hi all.
As many of you know, our bug fixing initiative is very successful: with very limited
investments several users have been able to have their bugs fixed in a very short
time. Of course, the entire project is based on hard work, volunteering, goodwill,
and trust. This generally works very well.
Unfortunately I have to point out an unpleasant experience: one user (Greg Coats)
requested a bug fix, relative to a slow start up, and on date 21.1.2010 offered:
"I will provide $1,000.00 for a verifiably solution that yields start up times from
.qgs project files of no more than 30 seconds, delivered this month, and $500.00 for
a solution delivered next month."
The bug was promptly fixed the next day, thanks to Marco Hugentobler and others. The
Greg asked an OSX executable to check the solution. Next day, this was ready, thanks
to William Kyngesburye.
Now Greg is surprisingly refusing to donate the promised amount. I believe this is
unfair, and breaks the trust we are so rich of. In addition, he is complaining about
the project management, which is even harder to understand.
So, I'll have to be more careful with the next offers :(
BTW: I invite everybody to donate for our upcoming hackfest:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/3._QGIS_Hackfest_in_Pisa_2010
Even small amounts (buy your preferred dev a beer, a pizza, etc!) are useful, and
much appreciated.
All the best.

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at telia.com