[Qgis-user] quantumnik - mapnik on OS X

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Wed Feb 24 21:02:43 PST 2010

Hi Mike,

Yes, the QGIS builds require a specific version of Python. On Leopard
(10.5) that is python 2.5. On Snow Leopard (10.6) that is python 2.6.
I think that QGIS on both platforms works with either the apple/system
python that comes on your mac or the one from python.org (as long as
it is the right version).

A handy way to confirm this is to open QGIS and go to the top menu
Plugins > Python Console.

In the python console type:

import sys;print sys.version

(then hit "execute")

That should print the python version information the QGIS depends on.

So, I'd guess you are on leopard and need to install Mapnik's Python25
bindings.

The Mapnik dmg at http://dbsgeo.com/downloads/ provides two installers
Mapnik's python bindings, one for Python 25 and one for Python 26.

Dane

the error below indicates that Mapnik's python bindings are
unavailable to QGIS.