[Qgis-user] [QGIS-LIST] Contour plugin install under OSGEO4W

Benoit de Cabissole cabi at mweb.co.za
Mon Jan 18 01:50:07 PST 2010

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for your reply.

>Lionel Roubeyrie wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
> Have you tried to install shapely windows .exe from the pypi repository?
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Shapely

Yes, I've tried. I had Python 2.5 installed as a standalone app with the
shapely .exe installed in its tree. I've removed the standalone python and
all its modules and now the shapely .exe cannot install because there is no
trace of python in the Windows registry anymore! (The windows installer for
python modules seems to look up in the registry to locate the path(s) of the
installed python(s), but OSGEO4W does not show itself in the registry and
I've been unable to find any trick, while running shapely .exe, to go pass
the install screen where you have to select the python tree to install to.)
As I understand it, the OSGEO4W system is a UNIX-like environment (e.g. à la
'msys') and I was thinking that a UNIX-like install is the only way to
install python modules in OSGEO4W?!?

Note that the contour plugin works fine with the standalone versions of QGIS
(1.4 & 1.3) and the standalone version of python. It's only in the OSGEO4W
environment that the pluging fails to install because shapely is not
packaged with OSGEO4W. Question is: can shapely be included in the OSGEO4W
system?

Under OSGEO4W, the alternative would be to use GRASS plugin to do the
contouring?

Benoit