[Qgis-user] Shape File

nikos ves vesnikos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 09:12:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 12:51 -0700, Bob Byer wrote:
> I tried zoom to layer and the polygon did not show up.  I also tried
> to enable on the fly projection.  When I did that, some of the
> features were distorted and the coordinates displayed on the bottom of
> the view were the wrong coordinates.  I'm using NAD83 HARN for
> Delaware, USA.  Any other ideas are certaintly appreciated.

bob, sorry for the late return, your email has been misplaced with some
other emails and i didnt notice it until now.

your shapefile is not distorted, you just see it with the default CRS,
which is something else that your target crs.

I suggest that you create a new project (File-> New Project), then open
the project properties (File ->Project properties) tick
"on-the-fly-reprojection" and on the list select the appropriate NAD83
(HARN) CRS

!BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET CONFUSED, THERE ARE MANY NAD83 (HARN) CRSs, AND
EACH ONE IS VALID FOR THE AREA AND ONLY FOR THAT AREA YOUR DATA WERE
TAKEN FROM.

FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOUR DATA SHOW AREAS FROM WEST ALABAMA (NAD83(HARN)
EPSG:2759) YOU CANNOT USE THE CRS OF EAST ALABAMA (NAD83(HARN)
EPSG:2760) FOR THOSE. THEY MIGHT HAVE THE SAME NAME, BUT THEY"RE NOT THE
SAMES.

ITS UP TO YOU TO FIND OUT WITH WHAT CRS YOUR DATA WERE CAPTURED, AND USE
IT YOUR PROJECT

once you know your CRS you can reproject to a different CRS using
Vector->Data Management tools-> Export to a new projection"