[Qgis-user] offline googlemaps (or the like) images

Pierre Chevalier Géologue pierrechevaliergeol at free.fr
Tue Oct 5 01:41:13 PDT 2010

Jürgen E. Fischer claviota:
> Hi Noli,
>
> On Tue, 05. Oct 2010 at 11:58:40 +1100, Noli Sicad wrote:
>
>>> if you get your own imagery you can easily install a wms server on your
>>> machine and connect to it with qgis.
>>>

>> I don't  think WMS can do offline. This is the weakness of web mapping
>> services, if I am not mistaken, it piggyback on TC/IP protocol (i.e
>> without Internet connection is the services useless).
>>

> Sure it can.  It requires TCP/IP, but there always is localhost (127.0.0.1).
> So you can run all those services locally without an internet connection.
> I think that's what Giovanni meant (ie. install a WMS on the his local
> machine).

There is an even much simpler solution, a cache that you install on your
own machine. I can't remember its name. But sure, it would be helpful
for people like Vincent and myself, people who go to work in places
where Internet is not even a dream.
I should try to implement it on my laptop.

A+
Pierre

> Jürgen

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
    Mesté Duran
    32100 Condom
  Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
  Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
  icq#   :   10432285
  skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
  http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue