[Qgis-user] offline googlemaps (or the like) images

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Oct 4 23:46:12 PDT 2010

Hi Noli,

On Tue, 05. Oct 2010 at 11:58:40 +1100, Noli Sicad wrote:
> > if you get your own imagery you can easily install a wms server on your
> > machine and connect to it with qgis.

> I don't  think WMS can do offline. This is the weakness of web mapping
> services, if I am not mistaken, it piggyback on TC/IP protocol (i.e
> without Internet connection is the services useless).

Sure it can.  It requires TCP/IP, but there always is localhost (127.0.0.1).
So you can run all those services locally without an internet connection.
I think that's what Giovanni meant (ie. install a WMS on the his local
machine).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden