[Qgis-user] Re: Overview (inset map ) in map composer

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:07:57 PDT 2010

On 27 October 2010 16:42, Marco Tuckner <marcotuckner at public-files.de>wrote:

> > You can simply add another map to the canvas, and then set the extents
> and
> scale to only cover your area of interest.
> Yes.
> But how do I make them dynamically zoom and also display an extend
> rectangle on
> the overview map showing th extend of the detailed map?

Well by specifying the scale and extent of the detailed map, you are
effectively 'zooming' in on that area, and any changes made to the map will
be reflected in the 'zoomed in' map. As for the rectangle, you can simply
add a basic shape to the larger map covering the extent of your detailed
map, or if you prefer, create a rectangular feature as an additional layer.
You can specify to not show that layer in the detailed view by using the
'lock layers' feature. Perhaps I don't quite understand what you mean by
'dynamically zoom'? Do you want to specify the scale and extent of the
detailed map by zooming in like on the regular map canvas? If this is the
case, then I don't believe this is possible, and you have to manually
specify the scale and extent of the individual map views.

Hope that clears things up, if not, hopefully someone else on the list will
have a better answer for you ;-)

Cheers,

Carson

> Thanks for following up.
>
> Regards,
> Marco

Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow
National Centre for Geocomputation
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
http://www.carsonfarmer.com/