[Qgis-user] Qgis, Postgres Data exchange, Graticule

Bernhard Ströbl Bernhard.Stroebl at jena.de
Thu Sep 16 09:09:33 PDT 2010

Hi Marco,

just to give you the direction:

if you have PostGIS installed (very much recommended) add a point
geometry column to the table
SELECT addGeoemtryColumn
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.3/ch06.html#id2574409
and populate it with point geometries:
UPDATE table set geom_column = ST_PointFromText('POINT(' ||
cast(longitude as varchar) || ' ' || cast(latitude as varchar) || ')')

after that you can access your data directly from within QGIS.

Marco schrieb:
> Dear Qgis community and experts,
>

> it is only some days since I try to use qgis (Tethys) and have to confess
> that it is a great GIS compliation.
>

> Maybe I can trigger an improvement, maybe there already is a solution for
> the tiny problem I have.
>
> I would like to directly get postgres - data into qgis with a few mouse
> clicks
>
> Having Data in a postgres database like:
>
> Header: Place, Zipcode, number of oaktrees, latitude, longitude, alitude
>
> Data:     Horn, 32805, 123090, 8.91, 51,87, 270
>
> .
>
> .
>
> .

> The workaround I'm using now is to copy paste the data queried by pgadmin
> into MS-Editor, add a header, save it as a textfile

An easier way to create a delimited text file is to use PostgreSQL's
COPY command.

Bernhard