[Qgis-user] gdal_merge - GDAL Tools plugin Qgis error message

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 28 13:54:26 PDT 2010

/usr/bin/python* should already exist, they are part of the system.  That's not the problem.

The problem is that /usr/bin is NOT in the PATH in an OS X application.  Applications have essentially no environment at all, but they do understand environment variables.  Applications are in their own world, so to speak.  There is a hidden mechanism for setting Application environment, but I don't want to spread that as it is cluncky to use (need 3rd party apps for a nice GUI front end), and is not well documented, if at all.

You got your symlinking idea backwards, but it does give me an idea for a workaround:

ln -s /usr/bin/python2.6 /Applications/Qgis.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/python

This puts a symlink to the system python in the Qgis application bin, which should be in the PATH in the Qgis environment.

On Sep 28, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Pierre Chevalier GĂ©ologue wrote:

> A stupid idea: why not doing a symbolic link to your python in your /usr/bin?
> At least, you can be sure that /usr/bin is in the path.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy