[Qgis-user] gdal_merge - GDAL Tools plugin Qgis error message

Pierre Chevalier Géologue pierrechevaliergeol at free.fr
Tue Sep 28 14:53:37 PDT 2010

William Kyngesburye claviota:
> /usr/bin/python* should already exist, they are part of the system.  That's not the problem.

Ok; I thought you may have some strange python installation. Sorry!

> The problem is that /usr/bin is NOT in the PATH in an OS X application.
Hm. Mac OS X's are weird sorts of unices, aren't they? (BIG TROLL
DETECTED!) ;)

> Applications have essentially no environment at all, but they do understand environment variables.  Applications are in their own world, so to speak.  There is a hidden mechanism for setting Application environment, but I don't want to spread that as it is cluncky to use (need 3rd party apps for a nice GUI front end), and is not well documented, if at all.
>
> You got your symlinking idea backwards, but it does give me an idea for a workaround:
>
> ln -s /usr/bin/python2.6 /Applications/Qgis.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/python
>
> This puts a symlink to the system python in the Qgis application bin, which should be in the PATH in the Qgis environment.

Yes, it makes sense! So? Does it work?

Funny: in DOS and windows (another strange kind of OS, next troll), the
current directory of any executable is in the path. And in unices (at
least the ones I know), the current directory (.) is never in the
path... I never figured it out on a Mac.

>> A stupid idea:

Yes, it was...

A+
Pierre

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
    Mesté Duran
    32100 Condom
  Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
  Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
  icq#   :   10432285
  skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
  http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue