[Qgis-user] Understanding the rule-based renderer

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:32:03 PDT 2011

Ok,
I ask as i am making my own set of rules/standards for the CommonMap
API (which works the same as OpenStreetMap) accept the licence of the
data is ccBY, instead of ccBYsa/Odbl.

So the source datasets begin with Natural Earth, GeoBase (Canada),
CanVec (Canada), TIGER (USA), LINZ (New Zealand) etc.  and building a
set of standards, which are 'inspired' by mapnik/cyclemap.

Are their any 'favorate' well known datasets which have a good set of
features that you (qgis Community) would like to see incorporated into
the CommonMap Features rendering schema?

thanks,
Sam

On 4/8/11, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>  It would make sense for very well-known datasets with a fixed
>  structure. Potential candidates are national survey datasets that are
>  widely used or OpenStreetMap data.
>
>  In my case, the rendering rules are very specific to my own data
>  structure. It wouldn't make sense to share them.
>
>  Andreas
>
>  On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:37:52 -0700, Sam Vekemans wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is their a list somewhere which shows all of the rendering rules
>> which
>> people are using (the beginings of a standards system)?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>>
>> On 4/8/11, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Andreas Neumann
>>> <a.neumann at carto.net>

>>> Hi Andreas
>>>
>>> the rule based renderer uses the b) option: it goes through the
>>> features one by one and applies all matching rules (in the order in
>>> which they appear). Mayeul Kaufmann has done some work in order to
>>> support option a) by implementing support for symbol levels so that
>>> the rendering order can be overridden.
>>>
>>> My ultimate goal is to only support the option a) in a way how SLD
>>> specifies it: rules are grouped and these groups are rendered one
>>> after each other.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Martin

--
---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn