[Qgis-user] Newbie to GIS and QGIS

bernhard.stroebl at jena.de bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Tue Aug 23 22:29:49 PDT 2011

Hi Jel,

one common misunderstanding is that GIS is about maps. IMHO it is not.
GIS is about (spatial) data and _one_ thing you can do with them is
output them as a map. When you load data into QGIS they are, well, data.
You have to color them, label them etc. to make a map. I recommend the
QGIS user guide, especially chapters 2 (Introduction to GIS) and 4
(Working with vector data).

All the best

Bernhard

________ Information from NOD32 ________