FW: [Qgis-user] problems with layers from one source

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 09:47:56 PST 2011

Hi,

> I can see that the Chicago Ward Boundaries layer is in WGS84

it is not in WGS84, it is in "NAD83 / Illinois East (ftUS)" and was
*reprojected* over a WGS84 layer, or a Google Mercator one, etc.

Beside the layers from the openlayers plugin -that are not
reprojectable- you can do also the other way around --> wgs84 (or
whatever else) to "NAD83 / Illinois East (ftUS)" (or whaterver else).

You control this by

a) giving all layers their *own* CRS
b) setting the CRS for the project
c) enabling OTFR

everything will be reprojected in the *project* CRS

> but I'm not able to make it work with this layer from the Census. Can
> you tell me how to reconcile these? I know this is basic stuff, but
> I've only used ArcView before and I'm new to QGIS. Thank you!

I have downloaded the "Primary and Secondary Roads" layer of Illinois.
The layer is in the "EPSG:4269 - NAD83" CRS, a geographic one (the wards
layer is in a projected CRS).

In the attached image you see that everything matches perfectly:

the project is in "NAD83 / Illinois East (ftUS)"

OTFR is enabled

this way both the "EPSG:4269 - NAD83" layer and the WGS84 layer are
reprojected in the "NAD83 / Illinois East (ftUS)" CRS.

http://ubuntuone.com/5UQj3Yi7S8QhhECwsM7dxf

try also open this project

http://ubuntuone.com/0Yv3yPV3kL5tXdfLsy0NS9

cheers