[Qgis-user] question for csv import with color

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Dec 24 04:44:55 PST 2011

henry cui wrote:
> hi Richard,
>     thanks for reply.
>     The way of Categorized Style surely make the dot seem different.But
> I hope to put all thing predefined in that csv file,because
> I need output the csv from another software and then import qgis to get
> the glance of whole state of these dots.This operations will be a little
> bit more frequent and the dot actually has three or more different
> states,so I want to simply the operations as much as possible.
> I guess put everything in that a single file is a simple way but i
> dont't know wether it is feasible in QGIS?

Ok, so you have a dynamic (often generated) csv file, and after
generating you want to fire up QGIS and show it in a predefined way.

Then I would do:
- create a new project in QGIS
- load your csv via the csv plugin (as you did)
- style it in a way (with as much classes as you find in future)
- save the project(!) as 'mycsvproject' (File/Save Project)

Now every time you fire QGIS up and load your mycsvproject it will load
it's data from the (fresh?) csv and show it in the way you defined in
your project already. So newly added point will just show up in your
predefined colors.

What Mischa proposes is a way to save te 'styling' (colors, sizes,
classes en classication type) in a so called style file (.qml).
This is handy if you want to create a new project (every time) but do
nowt want to define your classes and colors every time.

HTH

Richard