[Qgis-user] Problems when opening a QGIS Project file on another computer

Markus Weidenbach landconsult at freenet.de
Mon Feb 21 08:38:46 PST 2011

Dear List,

this is just a brief experience report about a minor (even maybe exotic)
problem I encountered when I tried to open a QGIS Version 1.6 project
file (*.qgs) that I produced within a _QGIS 1.6 OSGeo4W installation_ on
my Desktop (WIN7 64bit) with another _QGIS 1.6 Standalone installation_
on my laptop (XP Prof. 32bit):
The project file includes some 5 different map compositions with SVG
icons that are stored in the C:\OSGeo4W\... path. The location of the
icons is different in the Standalone Version (C:\program files\....). So
I got an error when I opened the *.qgs file with the Standalone Version
on my laptop because the SVG icons could not be found anymore
(unfortunately the error message simply says something like: Some Layers
could not be loaded. Do you want to search for the layers manually?" If
you agree an press "yes", nothing happens - well in fact there are not
any layers but some icons missing ...).
I understand the problem with the different installation paths, but it
would be helpful if the user would be informed that the system is not
missing any raster or vector layer but instead the right path to the SVG
icons. Even the project setting "use relative path" cannot help in this
case.
Only after deleting all map compositions in the original project file
within the OSGeo4W installation on my Desktop, I could open it with the
Standalone Version on my laptop.

Regards,

Markus

--