[Qgis-user] Plugins re-organization

Giuseppe Sucameli sucameli at faunalia.it
Thu Feb 24 08:31:54 PST 2011

Hi Pablo,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Pablo Carreira
<pablotcarreira at hotmail.com>wrote:

> >I think that organizing better plugins in menus it's the way to go waiting
> for the new toolbox.
>
> >For example, we could re-organize plugins in Database menu just creating
> some main
> >sub-classes named as the databases' spatial extensions: "PostGIS",
> "SpatiaLite",
> >Obviously there are some plugins which are out because either
> general-purpose or manage
>
> I thin that many menu levels is good for new users because it organize
> things. But for advanced users it slows things because you have to navigate
> all the menu levels to reach the tool that you want.

I do not quite agree.

In this moment you must always navigate at least 2 levels
(Database->PluginMenuName->
PluginAction),
instead after the reorganization you would navigate at least 2 levels and 3
sometimes only:

2 levels if the plugin add only one button
(Database->SubMenuName->PluginAction)
3 levels if the plugin have more than one button (Database->SubMenuName->
PluginMenuName->PluginAction)

In fact there're only few plugins which have more than one button in their
menu.

New users can find a plugins in a easier way, but also advanced users with a
lot of installed
plugins. Moreover advanced users use almost always the toolbar button to
access a plugin.

 I have two suggestions:
> 1)A side panel with the plugins tree.

This is the toolbox purpose, a panel with plugins.
Waiting for it, this simple reorganization is friendly not with new users
only.

> 2)Detachable menus, like the older TCL/TK versions of GRASS. Or like the
> the buttons in OpenOffice that have sub-options.

Also this solution requires some work, instead my aim is to make it easier
with no effort.

Cheers.

--
Giuseppe Sucameli