[Qgis-user] Newbie question - gml files

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 11:08:46 PST 2011

Hi,
1st off,  WOW  im just exploring the version that does work.
Quantum GIS - Mimas, and it's awesome :)

Apparently  the .gml files from canvec is supposed to work with Copiapo
1.6.0 to be able to open up these .gml files
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/province_gml/nl/
(Tyler said it does open up fine)

However, i get the error
"Entry Point Not Found"
The procedure entry point ?next ...... (code) could not be located in the
dynamic library QtCor4.dll

In english, that means that i dont have Qt installed and running.  (I don't
really want to install it, sorry).   Im using windows XP.. .. I'll go ahead
and install it, but only if i need to.

So the solution is to back-track the the version 1.5.0, so i installed that,
and got the same error.
I'll try version 1.4.0 and see if that works. .. no luck, i don't know how
to compile the TAR file http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/src/qgis_1.4.0.tar.gz

Thanks,
Sam

P.S, if anyone is bored, my task is rather simple.
Download all of the canvec .gml files, then convert them to .shp format
and save each map feature as a separate .shp file (province size)
... then zip and upload it to some website, like mediafire.com or any other
file sharing site.

Where the file becomes bigger than 200 megs (zip compressed), (as  a single
map feature), geographycally slice the file into smaller components.   (I
know that OpenJUMP can do this, but it would be fun to have it all in the
same software..
.... so at minimun.  all i need is to be able to Open up the .gml file so
it's in the same map-projection as the canvec NTS .shp files, and save them
on my hard-drive as a .shp file, then i can work with it from there...

This is an example of the canvec .gml file that got converted using
mygeodata.eu and loaded to koordinates.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PGD9dGCvIVAHwC5kHHqHOg?feat=directlink

and here's the example showing the .gml file, (and the .shp file which is
correct) loaded to QGIS Mimas
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DPc4KpmlEWSytHidIR7pLA?feat=directlink

I'll keep on trying, other options, and dig through the archives, as perhaps
someone else has had this problem before.

Cheers,
Sam

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn