[Qgis-user] Re:Newbie question - gml files

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 12:50:44 PST 2011

Ok, i tried the big bad ogr2ogr.exe and got an error

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jBGtPGH81IaE3YFb5Tf70A?feat=directlink

And the link on the wiki is broken :(
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Ogr2ogr

Could anyone explain 'what' this problem actually is? ... is it the way that
i am opening up the .gml file from qgis?
I think that i need to set the project 'projection'  1st.   And i think i
did that, setting it to 'NAD83 (CSRS) EPSG : 4617'
so it says "+proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +no_defs"
...  the .shp file opens up with the right projection.

And apparently qgis 'should' be able to open up this .gml file without using
ogr2ogr.exe

I think it's because i dont have postGISgrass or ArcGIS? installed, or
perhaps it's some python library file which is not installed correctly?

Thanks,
Sam