[Qgis-user] data defined labelling field details?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jan 11 09:24:21 PST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

>> No, I did not set the X,Y data fields - I want the X,Y to be the point
>> coordinates (maybe a distance from), so the X,Y data fields is redundant
>> and I'd have to figure out and fill in all the coordinates.
>
> Hm, right. This is one of the few cases where I'd still recommend the old
> symbology engine ;-)

So, when you say new and old engines, will the new engine replace the old one someday?

>> so the X,Y data fields is redundant
>> and I'd have to figure out and fill in all the coordinates.
>
> Maybe a tool that creates columns with x-/y-values for point position /
> polygon centroid / line center could solve the problem (e.g. in the field
> calculator). There will be redundancy, but it is a special case that the
> labels for a point layer are directly on the point location (covering the
> point symbol). In general, it will be good to have feature position and label
> position separated.

What about an offset? (as an alternative)  That way the label moves relatively with the point.  The old engine has this.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin