[Qgis-user] Primary keys composed

Pierre Chevalier Géologue pierrechevaliergeol at free.fr
Fri Jan 21 05:20:38 PST 2011

Hello,

Andreas Neumann claviota:
> Hi Joaquim,
> QGIS currently only supports int and int4 as a primary key.
>
> On 1/19/11 5:50 PM, Joaquim Condeça wrote:
>> I'am tring to implement a data model with postgresql.
>> The table have a primary key composed (VARCHAR) but the QGIS does not
>> recogneize this primary key.

Just a little remark: quite often, I need to map in qgis a table from
postgresql which already has a unique identifier, but a varchar. So I
always add an integer key, as it has been suggested. For example, like this:
    ALTER TABLE tmp_imports ADD COLUMN numauto SERIAL PRIMARY KEY;

But I always "râle" (similar to "complain", typically French attitude,
sorry about that) when doing so, because it adds yet another identifier
to my so-well-designed table, and it does not appear to be very useful,
after all.

I wander why there is a need for an *integer* primary key for qgis,
whereas, in the real world, many unique identifiers are made of
characters. Wouldn'it be possible to make this requirement a bit less
strict, by letting qgis tolerate a varchar primary key?

A+
Pierre

PS: sorry if I double-post. I messed up with replies. (but why is the
reply-to not systematically positioned to the list??)
Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
    Mesté Duran
    32100 Condom
  Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
  Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
  icq#   :   10432285
  skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
  http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue