[Qgis-user] attribute query by substring or regexp

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:15:15 PST 2011

Hi Maning,

This can be easily done using Spatialite.

1. Convert your polygon shapefile in Spatialite database.
2. Dump your the attribute field (substring/text/values) into CSV from
your point shapefile using MMQGIS plugin.

3. Use the CSV with (substring/text/values)  to join into your
spatialite polygon.

Use VitualText.

e.g.
~~~~~~~~~~~
CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE province USING VirtualText(Poverty2005.csv,
CP1252, 1, COMMA, DOUBLEQUOTE, ',');
PRAGMA table_info(province);
SELECT * FROM province ORDER BY Province;
CREATE TABLE real_province AS SELECT * FROM province ORDER BY Province;
PRAGMA table_info(real_province);
CREATE TABLE Province1 AS SELECT * FROM PH_Region JOIN real_province
       ON (PH_Region.NAME_1 = real_province.Province);

4. Dump the spatialite with selected polygons into shapefile.

I use CLI spatialite with sql script to do these things.

e.g.

spatialite   mypolygon.sqlite < my_spatialite_script.sql

Noli