[Qgis-user] SVG symbols and conversion to PDF

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 27 23:34:59 PST 2011

 Hi all,

 I'd like to share something I discovered recently, partially with a
 hint from Marco, when converting SVG symbols to PDF.

 1. SVG symbols in the old symbology are rasterized (that one I knew),
 but in the new symbology they stay as vectors (that one I didn't know).
 2. There is a major bug in the SVG->PDF conversion of SVG point symbols
 in the new symbology, due to a bug in the underlying qt-classes:
 path-elements or other other basic geometries are always stroked in the
 output PDF, unless one explicitly assigns a stroke-width="0"

 This violates the SVG standard in two ways:
 1. objects aren't stroked in SVG unless explicityl specified with the
 stroke and stroke-width attributes
 2. if one specifies stroke="none" in SVG qt's SVG->PDF converter still
 strokes the elements until one explictly sets the stroke-width to zero.

 This is really annoying as it means I have to go over all of my SVG
 symbols and add the stroke-width="0" for objects I only want to fill and
 not stroke.

 I just wanted to let you know in case you run into similar issues.

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)