[Qgis-user] Using templates in QGIS when importing GPS-data to PostGIS

Pierre Chevalier Géologue pierrechevaliergeol at free.fr
Tue Jul 5 04:01:31 PDT 2011

Hello,

Le 04/07/2011 15:43, Pekka Hurskainen claviota:
> Hi Micha,
> thanks for the tip! I managed to do it with the following command from
> FWTools shell:
>
> ogr2ogr -update -append -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost
> user=postgres dbname=db password=xxx"
> my_gps_points.gpx waypoints -sql "SELECT name AS gps_nimi, time AS
> gps_aika FROM waypoints" -t_srs EPSG:3067 -nln
> my_table_name

Looks neat.
What I usually do for such tasks is to generate a .csv using the
Marvelous gpsbabel.  You can define a template and fine-tune it to your
needs. See the manual page or its documentation.
After, I have a few bash scripts which automagically dump .csv files
into my database tables.

> I selected the fields I wanted, and cast them to different field names
> in my db table. I only wanted waypoints, and also did a coordinate
> transformation from wgs84 -> ETRS-TM35FIN. Very handy, once you get
> the syntax right. Now the only manual thing left is to change the
> input gpx file name every time, if all other parameters stay constant.

If all your input files are stored in a directory, you can write a
simple script, something like:

for i in *.gpx ;
do
ogr2ogr -update -append -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost user=postgres
dbname=db password=xxx"
$i waypoints -sql "SELECT name AS gps_nimi, time AS gps_aika FROM
waypoints" -t_srs EPSG:3067 -nln
my_table_name
;  done

This will proceed all your files.
This was in bash, but you can write something in any other (decent)
shell, or in python, whatever you like.
And if the files are scattered in a directory structure, you can "walk"
through it, python has some neat tools for this. And all (decent) shells
also, of course.

>     Any ideas?

Plenty! ;)

À+
Pierre

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 05 62 28 06 83
		06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue