[Qgis-user] Bugs

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jul 7 06:15:22 PDT 2011

 Hi Jonathan,

 I can only partially answer your questions/remarks.

>  A few bugs with QGIS 1.7.0. Unfortunately there's no obvious way to
> actually create an account or report bugs on your bug tracker so I'm
> forced to post them here.

 the infrastructure was just changed recently. Did you try on
 http://hub.qgis.org/ - personally I don't know how the accounts are
 handled. The old accounts from trac.osgeo.org were migrated.

> 1) I have a ~600MB raster in JP2000 format (*.jp2). QGIS doesn't seem
> to be able to load this, at least not in a timely manner. It spent at
> least 5 mins sitting there eating 100% CPU and using quite a bit of
> RAM.
> I also have a ~4GB ECW file which similar things happen with. Both
> files are projected (OSGB - 27700) and I'm fairly sure they have
> pyramids.
>
> MapInfo, ArcGIS, MapModeller (all proprietary), and MapWindow (Open
> Source) are all capable of displaying both images in fractions of a
> second.

 There has been a lot of mail recently about the problems with ecw.

 Personally, I would really stay away from proprietary formats like ecw
 and mrsid. You will never know when those companies changed their
 policies and if they care about compatibility with OS GIS. I personally
 use TIFF files (bigtiff files are more or less unlimited in size), and
 you can choose between different compressions in the tiff, like jpeg,
 deflate, zip, packbits, etc. These files usually work fine. I never had
 any issues. Back 2-3 years I also experimented with ecw and always ran
 into issues with software upgrades.

 This doesn't mean that the bug should not be fixed, but it is a
 recommendation about storing your data.

> 2) I load a shapefile that's projected in British National Grid into
> QGIS. The built in QGIS scale shows "degrees" rather than "metres" as
> the measurement unit despite showing "0" to "30,000" numerically (so
> it is showing metres, it's just incorrectly saying "degrees". This is
> to a new map that has no other layers added.

 Did you set the projection of your QGIS project? It sounds like this is
 set to WGS84/degrees. Try to set it to your british national grid and it
 will probably work fine.

> 3) Why is there a "(c) QGIS 2011" in the bottom right of the map
> viewer? 99% + of other programs use the Help->About page for that.

 This is because you probably enabled the "Copyright plugin", which is
 not enabled by default, I think. You can easily disable it in the
 plugins manager. The goal of the copyright plugin is not showing the
 QGIS copyright, but your own copyright (e.g. your company). You can
 easily configure it to show your own copyright, or better disable it
 alltogether. For configuration look into the Plugins toolbar and the
 button with the copyright symbol.

 Hope this helps,
 Andreas

 --