[Qgis-user] Table/Attribute joins

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Mon Jul 11 17:16:15 PDT 2011

On 12/07/2011, at 03:26 , Lee wrote:

> I've utilized the table join feature currently included in the 1.7 release. I have a parcel ownership layer within a city environment. I have selected some of these parcels and added them to a new shapefile. I'm attempting to grab the data from the original parcel file and append it to the new shapefile so I still have ownership information. When I do a table join through properties, the information shows up in the attribute table... but not in the .dbf file, nor can I edit it in the table editor plugin. Therefore, I have no ability to edit how this information is displayed, or print it along with a key. It seems the join only exists in the memory of qgis, and it is never actually appended to the database file...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> all the best,
> Lee

Yep, the join is only in the memory. But if you save (using "save as" or "Save selection as"), the join should be preserved in the new file.

So either you can join to your original layer, select the ones of interest and resave that new shape file, or
Join to your new shape file and save as a new shape file.

Hope that's of some use.

-ramon.