[Qgis-user] format for raster data distribution, JP2?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Jul 16 11:57:03 PDT 2011

There isn't a page (yet) as far as I know, it's collectively in the
heads of the people working on it and possibly in archives of their
mailing list.

Hence the suggestion to ask on their mailing list for details.
I just see bits of conversation about it fly by in IRC...

https://github.com/oam/oam has some info about the end product that uses
the imagery but I don't see processing information or the scripts that
were used.

Thanks,
Alex

On 07/16/2011 03:02 AM, MORREALE Jean Roc wrote:
> Hi Alex, could you point me to the exact page containing this
> information ? I've not been able to locate it
>
> Le 15/07/2011 22:21, Alex Mandel a écrit :
>> You might want to talk with the OpenAerialMap team about what they've
>> been doing. Somehow they shrunk 25TB to 5TB of NAIP imagery using some
>> fancy gdal techniques (as best I understand).
>> http://www.openaerialmap.org/Main_Page
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 07/15/2011 11:58 AM, John Callahan wrote:
>>> I'm looking for advice on sharing raster data for download.  We
>>> distribute
>>> several raster datasets such as DEMs and orthophotography.  Sometimes
>>> these
>>> are divided into rectangular tiles, sometimes by
>>> geography/boundaries.  Most
>>> of our audience has some level of GIS or CAD experience. We also have
>>> WMS
>>> services but there are many times where people need the actual data
>>> files.
>>>
>>> I had been creating JP2 files using JP2ECW compression.  Great file size
>>> reduction with very good quality. However, I'm thinking it may be
>>> difficult
>>> for people to view these (and more difficult for me to create) due to