[Qgis-user] format for raster data distribution, JP2?

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Mon Jul 18 01:51:03 PDT 2011

Hi John,
        Another option would be to use WCS (Web Coverage Service), the
lesser-known sibling of WFS and WMS. Where WFS is designed to distribute
Vector data, WCS is designed for Rasters. Up-take has been slower than the
other two, but there are a several open-source tools for serving it (i.e.
GeoServer, MapServer), and one or two for reading it (i.e. GvSIG, GDAL).
See - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Web_Coverage_Service

Jonathan