[Qgis-user] KML to GoogleEarth

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 03:16:22 PDT 2011

Hi Walter,
I'm not sure what your understanding of qgis is but it deals with
pretty much every projection you can throw at it and the project
projection/CRS shouldn't really cause any issues if all the
projections are set correctly and the translations are working.

Project CRS: the projection you'll see displayed on the map on the screen.

Layer/item CRS: with on the fly reprojection enabled you can load a
file with pretty much any projection and QGIS will reproject the data
as required, it won't change the projection of the file you've loaded
the and if you want to reproject it permanently you'll need to go the
"save as" route and tell it what projection you want it to save the
new file in. When you create a new vector layer you have the option to
create it in the project or any other CRS.

eg: You're able to load a file with CRS "A" into a project with CRS
"B" then load another file with CRS "C" and save the file that's CRS
"A" as CRS "D".

The disadvantage to the flexibility of all of this is that
occasionally QGIS won't find the CRS or the projection file or you'll
get confused as to which CRS the file/layer your working in.

The point to what I'm saying is that you shouldn't need to create a
new project or worry too much about the default CRS if what you want
to do is reproject the vector files so they're compatible with GE. You
do need to know what the CRS of the in and out files are though.

If you're able to send me through a small file as an example to show
what you want to do I can have a look.

Regards
Matt