[Qgis-user] Delimited text plugin with fields containing commas

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 20 12:59:12 PDT 2011

On 06/20/2011 12:35 PM, John Callahan wrote:
> Has anyone seen this problem with the Delimited Text plugin?  I am seeing
> this in today's download of QGIS 1.7 standalone on Windows, and on a recent
> install through OSGeo4W of 1.8-trunk.
>
> "Delimited text" plugin doesn't allow to load csv file with field with
> commas
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/2208
>
> - John

I have had that problem before, with lots csv import tools (not just
qgis). Are you using commas to separate the values too? I usually have
much better success changing that to ; or |
so instead of "2","test,test","1"
"2";"test,test";"1"

Easiest way to swap out the delimiter is to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice
and change it when saving.

Thanks,
Alex