AW: Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS mapserver performance

Ziegler Stefan Stefan.Ziegler at bd.so.ch
Mon Mar 21 00:38:49 PDT 2011

Hi Andi

> What exactly do you mean by "rendering straight from postgis"? What
> software is rendering straight from Postgis? UMN Mapserver, or what
> other renderer? Or your own renderer?
No, "straight from postgis" means adding the layer in QGIS from postgis.
I save this qgis project and make it available as WMS. Since there is
only QGIS (as renderer) involved I thought there would not be a big
performance difference. Ok, there is apache who is handling the cgi
request but that won't take 4 seconds.

> There are some performance bottlenecks regarding clipping of
> larger/more
> complex polygons. Marco can tell you more.
I don't think it's a clipping issue since it's fast when adding the same
layer 'straight from postgis' :) So there must be some additional work
when making a detour.

regards
Stefan