[Qgis-user] is a google maps api key still required with qgis geocode plugin?

Dennis M. Linton dennis at dmlinton.net
Tue Nov 1 10:11:06 PDT 2011

Regarding reverse geocoding accuracy for the Google geocoding plugin for
QGIS, I cannot speak for other countries but the accuracy was very low
for some locations I attempted to reverse geocode in Toronto, Ontario,
Canada.  The same address would be returned for every building in a one
block span of a given street or the address range for the block would be
returned - all depending on where one clicked.

The street number returned for one building, where the correct address
was already known, was wrong.  Province, city and street were almost
always correct but street numbers, as far I as I can confirm, where
almost always wrong.  Street was incorrect occasionally.  Country ID
should be very accurate but I would pay close attention to values
returned for locations near borders.

In case the CRS (NAD83 UTM 17N) was somehow involved, I reprojected to
Google Mercator but it made no difference at all.

- Dennis