[Qgis-user] is a google maps api key still required with qgis geocode plugin?

M.E.Dodd m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 06:48:03 PDT 2011

Actually I don't really understand the api issue as the latest version of the google api says that there is no api key needed.

What I want to do is reverse geocode a large number of lat long pairs, I don't want to display them particularly and certainly not put them on a website, I am just doing data analysis.  I understand there is a limit of 2,500 lat long pairs per day on google, I seem to recall when I looked into this a year or so ago the limit was higher than this.  Wonder if there is a way of putting in some kind of batch command that will send this number in per day for a month or so or until all the ones I need to reverse geocode have been done.

This is obviously much slower than using detailed country outlines in the gis to achieve country id for the points.  Does anyone know how accurate the reverse geocoded data is for country ID (or the more detailed info on the address), it seems to be very accurate so they must have extremely detailed country outlines, much more detailed than are freely available?