[Qgis-user] Not-saving QGIS interface changes between restarts

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Wed Nov 16 05:42:14 PST 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 4:02 AM, jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk wrote:

> I'm looking to deploy QGIS into an enviroment with some very non-tech-savy users. One of the things I'd like to do is stop any interface changes they make from being saved between sessions, so that every time they start QGIS, everything is in the same place.
> The sorts of things I'm talking about are closing the layers panel, moving toolbars around, etc.
>
> Where does QGIS save these changes? And will QGIS work if I make that location/file read-only?

It depends on your operating system:
	 Linux it is found in:  ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS.conf
	Windows: the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QuantumGIS\QGIS
	Mac:  ~/Library/Preferences/org.qgis.QGIS.plist

Setting it to read-only on Linux works. The other platforms may be more problematic.

-gary

Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com