[Qgis-user] Not-saving QGIS interface changes between restarts

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Nov 16 09:19:32 PST 2011

Thanks Gary, it's a set of Windows machines. I'll see if I can figure
something out.

Jonathan

From:   Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com>
To:     jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Cc:     Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com>, qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Date:   16/11/2011 13:42
Subject:        Re: [Qgis-user] Not-saving QGIS interface changes between
restarts

On Nov 16, 2011, at 4:02 AM, jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk wrote:

> I'm looking to deploy QGIS into an enviroment with some very
non-tech-savy users. One of the things I'd like to do is stop any
interface changes they make from being saved between sessions, so that
every time they start QGIS, everything is in the same place.
> The sorts of things I'm talking about are closing the layers panel,
moving toolbars around, etc.

> Where does QGIS save these changes? And will QGIS work if I make that
location/file read-only?

It depends on your operating system:
                  Linux it is found in:  ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS.conf
                 Windows: the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QuantumGIS\QGIS
                 Mac:  ~/Library/Preferences/org.qgis.QGIS.plist

Setting it to read-only on Linux works. The other platforms may be more
problematic.

-gary

Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com
Chair, QGIS PSC
Books:
  http://desktopgisbook.com
  http://qgisbook.com

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.