[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Critical problems with 1.7.2 from ubuntu binaries

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 11:21:24 PST 2011

Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> shouldn't qgis be packaged in such a way to avoid multiple (minor)
> versions of QGIS?
>
> i.e. change the package names to  1.7 instead of 1.7.0 / 1.7.1 / 1.7.2 ?
>
> There really is no need to have the old packages around, especially
> with this issue.

I respectfully disagree.  It's not that the old packages need to be
around it's that they are
out there already.  People have them some people either can't or won't
be able to upgrade
them and when those people have questions it's important that the
developers and others
know exactly what version of the software is being discussed.