[Qgis-user] Calculating affected regions of high-water situations

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 03:31:03 PST 2012

Hi Andreas/Werner,

I haven't come across the practical example of why you want to change the
water level by 1m, 2m across all your river network.

However the following scenario is the common example of how a similar method
is used for creating flood warning/flood forecasting maps:

Imaging you have got a water level gauging station at a certain location.
You would want to associate the water level readings to a flood map. As
Werner mentioned, what you need then is to set up a hydraulic model with
hydrological input to simulate flow/water levels. You probably need
calibration/verification to ensure your model represents the river network
and out-of-bank flow properly. You can then run the  model for some
hypothetical scenarios (hydrological events) to generate flood maps for
1m/2m etc intervals of the gauge readings.

Based on the type of the catchment, shape of the floodplain, number of
hydraulic structures, a 1m increase in water level at the gauge might not
even increase the flood levels elsewhere in the catchment.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Saber