[Qgis-user] How to get attributes of overlaying polygon layers by a spatial query?

André Müller andre.mueller at vestigia.ch
Wed Dec 12 10:01:53 PST 2012

I am new to QGIS and would like to merge selected data/attributes out of the
attribute tables from overlaying vector objects on different vector layers
without creating new additional layers. Is there any standard QGIS operation
or QGIS plugin to accomplish this task.

Basically to explain it better I have a vector layer with polygons
representing buildings and it's assigned attribute table. A second vector
layer with polygons represents communal planning zones and it's assigned
attribute table. Both layers can not be joined by attributes as there have
no corresponding keys. So I would like to perform a spatial query over both
vector layers to find all buildings overlapping polygons of the zone layer
and write back to the same building layer's attribute table the
corresponding zone code from the zone layer's attribute table.

Can this be done by a QGIS standard functions or do I have to write a
Plugin? I am appreciating any hint.

Many thanks in advance