[Qgis-user] how to upload point, line, polygon (shapefiles) to OSM

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Dec 15 00:06:39 PST 2012

Am 15.12.2012 07:15, schrieb AJAY KUMAR MULAKALA:
> Dear All,
>
> May I know the possibilities about How to upload all the three (point, line, polygon) shapefiles in OSM.
>
> Present I am using Q-GIS., and I tried with OSM but I can't..!
>
> I hope this could be solved.

Best solution is not to do that. If you upload a road shapefile to OSM,
it will have no connection to existing roads in the OSM database, which
spoils routing. Same applies to rivers and coastlines.

There is a tool called shp2osm, which transforms shapefiles to OSM data.
Another possibility is to save the layer as GPX. You have to transform
polygons to lines before, because GPX does not know polygons (and OSM
also does not).

You can load that into the josm editor, and download the current data of
the same view in a seperate layer. Then you have to check your data with
the existing, add tags as necessary, deleting duplicates, and take
special care for polygons. In OSM, they are closed ways, or relations of
type "multipolygon".

Finally upload the changes.

Greetings,
André Joost