[Qgis-user] KML import into QGIS problems and confusion

spiderplant0 spiderplant0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:41:34 PST 2012

I am having problems importing KML vectors into QGIS.
To try and figure out whats going wrong I carried out an experiment...

In QGIS, created a simple vector shapefile containing one polygon (set to
EPSG900913).
Used QGIS to save it as an KML.
Tested this KML out in Google Earth - the polygon was in the correct place -
so far so good.
Imported the KML back into QGIS ( Menu > Layer > Add Vector layer). This
doesnt work. The polygon is distorted, in completely the wrong place and
very small (maybe its regarding the degrees latitude and longitude as
metres?)

I notice there is no mention of the map projection in the KML. How does it
know what to use? Under the layer properties in QGIS it seems to be set to
'EPSG:4326 - WGS 84'. This is not what I want (EPSG900913). But I believe
these EPSGs are similar and so doesnt account for the massive change in
position, size, etc. Changing the CRS in layer properties didnt help.

The only way I could figure out to get it to display properly was to 'save
as shapefile' and set to  EPSG900913. Then reload this shape file into QGIS.

Is there a simpler way. Ie get QGIS to display the KML directly?

Here is a link to the shapefile (test3_epsg900913) and the KML
(test3b.kml)...
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B93lksnTC7_cMGMzMTNiMTEtNThiNi00ZjQ5LWIzZTMtNzg2MjZhMmM3ZTIy
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B93lksnTC7_cMGMzMTNiMTEtNThiNi00ZjQ5LWIzZTMtNzg2MjZhMmM3ZTIy
The polygon should appear on top of an island of the coast of Scotland.
I'm using QGIS 1.7.3.

Thank.