[Qgis-user] security concerns of countries using products derived from remote sensing data

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 27 14:59:58 PST 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:12:05 +0100
Dietrich Heintz <dheintz at gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
> are there any objectives from certain countries prohibiting the use and
> distribution
> of remote sensing data either generally or for special regions..
> To be precise data for agricultural purpose within the premises of the
> landowners.
> Thank you in advance.
> ciao Dieter

With remote sensing data so readily available it would be virtually impossible for any country to block access except within their own internet space.

To my thinking, the only country that could close off access would be the USA and they are at the forefront of enabling the open access to all manner of geospacial data to anyone anywhere.

The only option open to countries wanting to 'hide' areas from the world is to camouflage those areas from the sensing hardware.

mick